Mould In The Home

Mould in the home can be a real problem and we have to deal with it from time to time. The places in your home that are most likely affected are areas that are susceptible to moisture like your bathroom. Moulds are known to produce allergens and irritants as well as in a few cases, toxic substances that are damaging to your health.

If you touch or inhale mould spores, then you could develop an allergic reaction of which common symptoms include runny nose, red eyes as well as a skin rash. Therefore, a home that is affected by mould or damp can cause inhabitants to suffer from respiratory infections and allergies as well as asthma.

What Causes Mould in the Home

Mould and damp are the results of moisture in the home. This moisture can occur because a water pipe was leaking in the home or because there was too much damp in the basement.

In addition, It can also occur because water or rain seeped in due to damage in the roof or walls or around the window frames. Even newly constructed buildings can suffer because the water used has not completely dried out. Other causes of mould in the home include cooking and showering as well as drying of clothes inside the home.

Common Health Effects of Exposure To Mould
  • Itchy eyes, nose and throat
  • Watery eyes
  • Rhinitis
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Sneezing
  • Dry, scaly skin
  • Eczema
  • Coughing
  • Wheezing
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest tightness
  • Asthma

Mould and damp can affect anyone, in particular, they affect babies, children and the elderly.

Also, mould affects people suffering from eczema and those who have a respiratory problem such as asthma. If your immune system is weak, then again you are more likely to be affected.

Allergy is the most common chronic disease in Europe. Up to 20% of patients with allergies live with a severe debilitating form of their condition (EAACI, 2016)

Top Tips

 

Firstly, you need to find and then fix the source of the moisture that is causing mould and damp in the home.

In addition, keep your home dry as mould grows where there is moisture, keep the humidity level below 60 per cent to prevent mould from growing.

After that, if the home has existing moisture in the air you can use a dehumidifier which will control the humidity in the home.

Because dehumidifiers vary in size check the square footage removal rate to make sure that it is sufficient.

Finally, air purifiers that use HEPA filtering system can help to remove mould spores and toxins in the home.

For more information on allergy and asthma triggers within the home. Refer to our article about “How dust mites in the home can affect your health”